Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Diarra: Real Madrid a boyhood dream fulfilled

Video Safari

Mahamadou Diarra admits he thought his dream move to Real Madrid was going to fall through in the opening days of negotiations.
The former Lyon midfielder will be paraded in front of the local media today and said: "At the outset everything was bad and the negotiations were very complicated because Madrid could not manage to reach an agreement with Lyon.

"Nevertheless, from last Friday night I realized that finally I could play in Madrid. From that day, I thought that I had a great chance because everything took shape so quickly with Lyon as with me."
Diarra pleaded with Real fans not to compare him with former midfield favourite Claude Makelele.
"I am not a substitute for Makelele. I am Diarra. For now, I cannot say anything about what I will do and how I will play in Madrid, but what I want is that the Liga begins and that within two or three months they'll see how Diarra plays and analyze how my game fits into Madrid."
The Mali star admits it's a boyhood dream fulfilled playing for Real Madrid.
"When I was a boy and I lived in Africa, I saw many Real Madrid games and my dream was to play there. I was a great follower of Madrid.
"When I was younger I admired four clubs: Real Madrid, Bayern, Milan and Olympique Marseille, but the team which I always dreamed of playing for was Real Madrid."