Sunday, July 30, 2006

McCarthy: I can win things at Blackburn

Video Safari

Benni McCarthy insists he joined Blackburn because he believes they are an ambitious club on the verge of success.
The 28-year-old striker signed a four-year deal at Ewood Park after Rovers agreed an undisclosed fee with Porto.
He told RoversWorld: "I came here because I want to win things for this club and I want to be a better player and I think Blackburn have got the powerful motivation of looking forward.
"I think it's a club that is going to go places and going to win things and I want to be part of that.
"Blackburn are a very ambitions team and club and that is the motivating part about it.
"When clubs are always ambitious that is when they always get success in Europe or domestically. Blackburn are very ambitious so there are strong possibilities and why not?

"They have quality players, a great manager and they are very organised with beautiful training facilities and all of this helps for the future, the way to win trophies and to do well."
Rovers have been pursuing McCarthy for some time and tried to lure him to Ewood Park 12 months ago and the player is flattered by their attention.
He said: "As a player it's always to be honoured because it is a great club and we are being trained by one of the best strikers England has ever seen.
"So for me it's a privilege and an honour to play for the team who show so much interest in a player, and not giving up hope and so want me, and when they got a chance they still went for me.
"But Blackburn haven't lost faith - they came last season for me and it didn't work out and this season they fought again but finally I'm here so I'm going to make the most of it.
"It has always been an ambition and I hope I'm going to fulfil my dreams," he added.
"I always wanted to play in the Premiership and I just hope I can really make the most of it and get a good start.
"I've played against Premiership teams and always seemed to do well against them but now it's going to be a challenge playing week in week out against Premiership opposition and it's very tough.
"I hope I've got enough quality to last me and have a lot of team-mates who are going to help me and make me into a better player.
"I think my football is more suitable for the Premier League than anywhere else but the wind has always been blowing me to Portugal, Spain, and to Amsterdam but never the English way.
"Now finally I get my chance I hope I've still got plenty left to show and show my style is really to play in the Premier League."