Saturday, June 24, 2006

Argentina whiz Messi: I want to be new Maradona

Video Safari

Argentina superkid Lionel Messi admits he wants to match the success of Diego Maradona.

"My ambition is to be as good as Maradona," admitted Messi. "He was my hero when I was growing up and he has been such an inspiration to me throughout my football career.
"He spoke to me before the game against Serbia and Montenegro, and told me just to go out there and enjoy myself, to express myself on the pitch just like he did.
"The advice worked perfectly and I played as well as I can. But I want more. I want to play a big role in this team and help win the World Cup for my country.
"The 6-0 win showed what fantastic football we can play when we are all at our best. And we know we can reproduce that form, which gives us such confidence for the knockout stage."