Saturday, June 24, 2006

Ghana's Essien can't believe suspension

Video Safari

Ghana midfield ace Michael Essien can't believe he'll be suspended for the knockout clash with Brazil.

Essien received a yellow card after only five minutes against the USA on Thursday - his second of the tournament - meaning the second-round game he had longed for was snatched from his grasp.
Chelsea midfielder Essien said: "I knew straight away what that card meant.
"I knew that if we got the right result I would miss the game against Brazil. It was so early in the match, I had to really try hard to put that to the back of my mind for the good of the team.
"I had to really focus because we still hadn't confirmed our place in the next stage.
"Thank goodness we did. It was a great moment for Ghana and I felt very proud.
"But it was tough as well and will be when the match with Brazil comes round on Tuesday." Essien was booked for a nothing challenge on Claudio Reyna with even US coach Bruce Arena strongly criticising the card.
Essien said: "It was ridiculous It was a clean challenge but there is nothing I can do about it now.
"I will be on the sidelines cheering the other players on. It is a great opportunity for us - a momentous occasion.
"Now the whole of Africa will be behind us."