Sunday, August 06, 2006

Chelsea's Lampard: It's Barcelona for me

Video Safari

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard admits he wants to join Barcelona - should he ever leave Stamford Bridge.
And the prospect of joining Barca grew when Lampard chatted with Ronaldinho after Chelsea's Champions League defeat last season.
Lampard, whose current Chelsea deal runs until 2009, told the News of the World: "After the game, Roni came over and we swapped shirts and embraced.

"It was a mark of respect and friendship. Then he smiled at me in this particular way and joked that one day we would be playing for the same team.
"I thought about what he meant. There had been a lot of rumours about Barca's interest in me and Roni had always been very generous about me in interviews.
"The Barca directors had also been very friendly towards me at the World Player of the Year event.
"Barca was the European team I was most interested in as a child in the days of Maradona, Romario and Ronaldo.
"I have always been intrigued by their stadium and I grew to love the city - more so since I have known my fiancee Elen and we have visited her family there."
"People have suggested that Elen's roots may be a reason for me leaving Chelsea. But she has never tried to influence me, and she's happy wherever my career takes me.
"To have your name mentioned as a possible recruit for Barca is an honour.
"If I ever had an ambition to play abroad, Barca would be one of the clubs I would want to play for."