Thursday, July 20, 2006

Anelka slams Houllier, Man City

Video Safari

Fenerbahce striker Nicolas Anelka has slammed former Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier - and Manchester City - ahead of a proposed return to England.
Portsmouth are favourites for Anelka, who told L'Equipe last night: "When he (Houllier) told me at the last minute that he had no intention of keeping me (at Liverpool), he put me in a difficult situation because I had not negotiated anything with other teams.

"And I ended up joining a club (Manchester City) against my will.
"Gerard Houllier is responsible for what happened to me. If he had not snubbed me at Liverpool I would not have had to play with minor clubs for the past four years which I had never imagined joining.
"I would not be where I am right now, that is to say waiting to be signed by a great English club."
Anelka is convinced his reputation as the 'enfant terrible' of French football, dating back from his spell with Arsenal between 1997 and 1999, is unfair.
At every club he has joined, including Real Madrid, Paris St Germain, Liverpool and Manchester City, he has acquired a reputation of being difficult to handle.
"I was told that people from Manchester City were saying bad things about me to other clubs who are interested in me," added Anelka.
"The clubs should instead ask the players I played with and they would see.
"It's incredible because I have never had any problems when playing in England except when I asked to leave Arsenal (in 1999).
"If great clubs don't sign me it's never because of the way I play. It's very frustrating, especially because I know I could do as well, if not better, than their strikers."